Today I’m telling a personal story about why I’m thankful for SEO.
I’m going to be a little vulnerable here.
My intention with this story is not to brag or boast, but to inspire you to challenge yourself, be patient, and finally – be thankful.
Since it’s Thanksgiving tomorrow, I thought it was fitting to tell you one of the reasons why I’m thankful for SEO.
The Story 📕👇
- Over three years ago I built a website for people to schedule text reminders. It was a fun project inspired by something my wife needed for her previous job.
- I spent about 10 hours putting it together and doing a little SEO work.
- Five months later I noticed I was getting about one daily sign up.
- I decided to make a premium (paid) version of the text message reminder software.
- I did a little more content writing and SEO.
- I hit $400 in one month from a $10/month product about 15 months in.
- I asked my friends Karlo and Ben to help me build a much more legit web app (because I’m not a great developer).
- We relaunched TextSpot a year later.
- Today we’re almost at $10,000 in monthly recurring revenue.
What started as a small SEO test has turned into something life changing and it’s simply been a side hustle that we have consistently been working at.
I built something that honestly wasn’t very good and that I hadn’t built before. But it did what it needed to for a few people and I just kept doing the SEO work I knew needed to be done.
Put in the work that needs to be done, but don’t expect overnight, overweek, or overmonth results. Let a little evidence of something good be the fuel to something better – on a longer timeline.
I spend far too much time focusing on the future of the product and what we need to do next. I’m rarely thankful and appreciate what we’ve accomplished so far and because of that I’m often rarely content.
My challenge to you is to look at something you’ve built in the last few years and be thankful.
Oh, and if you want to get good results from SEO in a few years, start today.