Today I’m talking about your biggest competition in marketing: complacency.
Complacency is self-satisfaction accompanied by unawareness.
Effective marketing is the exact opposite of complacency: it happens when you become more aware, but are never satisfied.
When you get results from any kind of marketing activity or you have a reliable method for generating new business, it’s easy to become complacent…
You settle into what’s working today and try to keep it working for tomorrow, when you need to be focusing today on what will work tomorrow.
Complacency is where companies go to die. They stop innovating, exploring, and caring for their customers.
Blockbuster knew about Netflix early on, but they were satisfied with their position, unaware of the impending shift in consumer behavior.
Beat Complacency with Curiosity
So if complacency is the enemy of effective marketing, how can you beat it?
Insatiable curiosity with a never-ending desire to help your customers better than anyone else.
This will elevate your brand (your reputation) and build momentum that no force can stop.
It starts by being open-minded and becoming more aware:
- Try new channels in marketing (email, SEO, postcards, etc) that you haven’t.
- Actually talk and listen to your customer. Find out more about who they are and what they are doing, thinking, and feeling before, during, and after buying (and turn that all into content).
- Learn from others that have been there and done that (whether it’s successes or failures).
Beat Your SEO Complacency Today
Start beating your SEO complacency today. There are a few ways to do that:
- Start writing and publishing new content on your site to help your customer understand what is you do. No selling. Nothing promotional. One page at a time, write the encyclopedia on your subject matter.
- Talk to an SEO expert about what you could be doing today to move the needle. The right SEO expert will be able to show and tell you exactly what they’d do to help you help your customer.